Tyler Knott Gregson is a poet, author and professional photographer from Helena, Montana. Gregson has accrued fame as a poet on social media platforms such as Tumblr, Instagram and Twitter since 2009. He writes and posts a “Daily Haiku on Love” and a raw poem from his “Typewriter Series” every day. What he types on random scraps of paper in simple words has moved people all over the world, including me.
The inspiration for the “Daily Haiku” sparked on an airplane ride while the “Typewriter Series” was born in 2012 when he found an old typewriter in an antique store in Helena and typed out a poem on the spot. He said, “I just did it all at once and it was like stream of consciousness, I didn’t plan it or think it through—I just let it go.”
Perigree, a division of Penguin Random House, picked up Gregson’s “Typewriter series” and published selected poems from it into a compilation called Chasers of the Light in 2014. The collection of poetry was a top 10 bestseller of non-fiction within its second week of publication, according to the Wall Street Journal. His book All The Words Are Yours: Haiku on Love, is available for pre-order now.
And if all this wasn’t enough, he also works as a professional wedding photographer at a company he co-founded with Sarah Linden, called Treehouse Photography. The wedding photographs are worth at least ten teenage girls with smudged mascara and puffy eyes.
If you follow him enough, you will love everything about him. His work (obviously), his humanitarian efforts, his deep poetic tattoos, his dog, just everything about him. But above all if you already don’t appreciate poetry you might come to fall in love with it and with Tyler ( he is also really REALLY cute ).
Here are some of my favorite pieces by him:
- “Promise me you will not spend so much time treading water and trying to keep your head above the waves that you forget, truly forget, how much you have always loved to swim.”
- “If all we have is forever then I think we should start right now.”
- “We are the silver lining in any and every dark cloud we could ever find. There is no need to go looking for the light when you bring it with you.”
- “You tied me, arms behind my back, and feet to each other. Off and over the edge and into the sea, but the smile was never wiped off my stupid face. I sank, tied and cold, and I swear somewhere mermaids are smiling too at how while I was lost in the black I never stopped singing.”
- “Run. For your life, for your joy, for your calm and peace of mind. Run. Because your legs are strong and your lungs are aching for the taste of air. Run. Because what’s the point of a life spent walking in the middle?”
- “A breeze brushed your hair off your cheeks and for a moment stole the job from my fingers.”
- “I have blisters on my feet from dancing alone with your ghost.”
- “I finally understand that I don’t write, I leak.”
Yes, ladies. This is guy is for real. Follow him everywhere. Tumblr. Twitter. Instagram. Just do it.
About The Author
Student of law. Avid reader. Eclectic song binger. One season a day person.