The oldest and purest forms of expression have contributed a lot to the society. From Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci to Suprematist Composition by Kazimir Malevich, paintings not only depict what the human eye sees but also the metaphysical thought behind it.
It is almost astounding how a mere thought in a painter’s mind (and heart) can move the world. With the same spirit, MCM DAV College experienced its first wall art, in its premises. Aditi Mittal, 20, a psychology pursuing painter took this beautiful initiative to brighten up the atmosphere in her college. She along with Gaurangi Singla, Rajita Kaushal & Shweta Miglani painted ‘Starry Nights’ by Van Gogh on the wall right opposite the amphitheater in their college.
So, we asked Aditi a few questions and here’s what she had to say,
- Why Starry Nights by Van Gogh?
Because he is my first artist inspiration and my only inspiration till date. Also, why not Starry Nights? After doing Alliance Francoise’s Mural I have been reading about Vincent Van Gogh and then his movie.
Also, Mural was to be done in college, Starry Nights was the best option.
- What does it mean to you?
I call it calm in the chaos. And this means a lot to me. It’s kind of like creating an emotional connection with yourself when you are surrounded by all the worldly things including existential crisis. It was very therapeutic for me.
- How much time did it take for you to finish the wall?
It took a total of 8 days. We used to work during college hours and sometimes stayed back till late in the evening.
- Whose idea was it to paint the whole wall?
It was my personal initiative. Since I’ll be passing out soon in a few months, I wanted to develop an emotional connect with the college and its students, my batchmates and everything one needs to experience in one’s college life. So, I decided to paint a wall in our college.
- The hardships you faced as an artist? I didn’t face any hardships as such. The teachers and especially our principal Mrs. Nisha Bhargava, were very welcoming to the new ideas and initiatives. Till date I haven’t received any criticism and even if I do, I will welcome it with open arms.
- A painting that is closest to your heart?Starry Nights by Van Gogh and Great Waves of Kanagava by Hokusai.
- What do you think about art as a profession?
It depends on how you think about art. If you are doing what you love and it is helping you to survive and full fill your needs, it’s a win-win situation.
- Do you think artists are payed enough?
It’s a topic of class and culture. But otherwise no.
Art is what makes an artist immortal, art is what makes an artist an artist. We’re lucky to have a painter as talented as Aditi and we hope that her art continues to inspire and move people.
About The Author
Sukhbani Kand (MCM DAV 36)