Sylvia Plath: Tormented soul, introspective genius and a phenomenal writer.
Sylvia, with her innate talent of writing provided us with the insight of her tortured soul. Her quote “I desire the things that will destroy me in the end” hit the right nerve in me. This made me want to read her other works, like the famous ‘The Bell Jar’.
I admire Sylvia for painting her inner wars on the paper the way she did, so painfully beautiful. Each work of hers opens a new window of introspection to which I definitely have no answers to but rather more questions.
The following are some of my favourite quotes by her. Every single quote raises a question inside you but at the same time it reflects how hauntingly and beautifully she could paint her words on the canvas of her distressed life. These lines bring about beauty in her sorrow.
- I talk to God but the sky is empty.
- Why the hell are we conditioned into the smooth strawberry-and-cream Mother-Goose-world, Alice-in-Wonderland fable, only to be broken on the wheel as we grow older and become aware of ourselves as individuals with a dull responsibility in life?
- What did my fingers do before they held him?
- The hardest thing is to live richly in the present without letting it be tainted out of fear for the future or regret for the past.
- I felt very still and empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo.
- If the moon smiled, she would resemble you.
You leave the same impression
Of something beautiful, but annihilating.
- I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, “This is what it is to be happy.
Sylvia will always be admired for courageously opening dialogues about her plagued soul in a world which stigmatizes “depression”. She showed how beauty exists in everything.
In the end, the line which pushes me in a never ending vortex of questions:
– “Is there no way out of the mind?”
What do you think? Is there?
About The Author
Student of law. Avid reader. Eclectic song binger. One season a day person.